Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2008 3:02 PM by LUCKIEST

    Canadian Online Business Selling to the US - Tax issue Newbie

      I own an online and wholesale business based in Canada. I have recently hired a fulfillment company based in NY state to process and ship my orders. I pay this company a fee for storing my products and for packing each of my retail and wholesale orders. My questions are:

      1) Do I need a Federal Tax Identification Number?
      2) Do I need to pay any US taxes?
      3) If I do not need to pay taxes in the US, can I still get a Federal Tax ID number just for the purpose of opening a US dollars bank account with an American bank? Would I then be subject to some kind of paperwork filing requirements?
      4) Do I need to collect any NY state sales tax?

      Thanks in advance!