Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
Post a new topic
12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2009 9:21 PM by copper00 RSS

Knockouts Haircuts for Men VS Too Hotties Haircuts for Men

jcl610 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I really like the concept of both of these franchises and I am currently in discussion with both of them.

Does anyone out there have any opinions on either one or heard anything? Any advice would be much appreciated !
  • Re: Knockouts Haircuts for Men VS Too Hotties Haircuts for Men
    LUCKIEST Master
    Haircuts for Men, Welcome

Who are you?? Where are you??

Go to Members page and share some info. Thanks
      tony76 Newbie
      I am a franchise owner of Knockouts Haircuts for Men in Colorado and did an evaluation of all haircuting franchises before picking Knockouts. There is a very new franchise of Too Hotties in Colorado and already has a less than acceptable article written about them on Merchant Circle which supports my decision to select Knockouts. Knockouts focus is on quality and not quantity or games to draw a clientele. So far so good so I encourage you to continue your investigation into Knockouts.
    Vince Novice
    Hi jcl610 and welcome to the SBOC!

Mike Handelsman of BizBuySell.com will be joining the Community for a live Q&A tomorrow (November 13) at 2PM EST. Pose a couple questions to him that you're currently on your mind. The two franchises you referenced are listed on their website so he'd be a great resource.

Ask your question now or during the event hour, Event: How to buy and sell your business

Check out http://www.bizbuysell.com/, http://www.bizbuysell.com/franchise-for-sale/Health-Beauty-and-Fitness-Franchise

Hope to see you at the event!

Vince
    coach1 Newbie
    As a business coach I recently assisted a client obtain a franchise with Knockouts. My client did a very thorough validation of the business and found it to be an outstanding opportunity.
    tony76 Newbie
    One of the items that concerns me about Too Hotties is the game room environment. This to me would lends itself to lots of loitering in a business where waiting room chairs need to be available for newly arriving clientele. Inviting customers to spend time playing pool, video games, etc. tends to speak toward a younger clientele for this business and not the type of establishment most men would want to frequent for quality haircuts. I would also not want the liability responsibility should anything happen as a result of the game room activity.

Also, the pushing of merchandise, such as tee shirts, caps, etc. was not very appealing as this would be additional inventory that needs to be purchased, stocked and tracked. The use of a sign that can either read Free Haircuts Now and then be turned off to reflect a different message was just a little to much to accept as something I would want to promote.

Knockouts, is also providing a theme reflecting a good sports atmosphere, but is paying attention to customer service and quality haircuts and services instead of games . The business model is also reflecting full services for men which has been a very large overlooked aspect for men in the salon industry. For diversity of what is offered, the focus on customer service and the concept, Knockouts has a much better business model.
      JAB4604 Newbie

I own a Too Hotties Haircuts franchise. First, the "game room environment" you mention does not cause excessive loitering. Guys have the option of relaxing for a few minutes while waiting for a haircut-that's it. The idea was based on the fact that excessive wait times are one of the top 2 or 3 biggest customer complaints in men's haircut salons. So, offering a few simple but widely enjoyed distractions for the few who actually partake has nothing but an upside. Second, what liability?? Pool tables and XBox's don't typically cause any physical harm, do they? Perhaps you're assuming more about the amenities at Too Hotties than actually exists. Have you visited a Too Hotties in person?

RE: the merchandise- This is known as branding, and is one of the most unique aspects of the Too Hotties busines model. Easily 20% of our 1st-time customers walk in because they remembered the (unforgettable) Too Hotties name, and cannot remember, or differentiate the Knockouts name (which is located 2 blocks down the street), has run radio ads, and literally created demand for my shop. Branding matters a lot.

The On and Off Haircuts Now sign is pure genius. If there is an empty chair, turn it on and get customers. If it's busy, turn it off. A free customer today, if well-served, becomes a 10-times-a-year customer tommorrow. This is called Marketing.

Last, visit a Knockouts, then visit a Too Hotties. There is NO comparison who has the best level of customer service and atmosphere that appeals to most professional, value-conscious men.
        tony76 Newbie

Being a guy, a quality pool game takes more than a few minutes but, quality haircuts, attention to detail and such does not center around a game room environment, but a play time environment. Take the articles that have been written, the media exposure to compare Too Hotties to Knockouts and then decide which is the better BUSINESS decision. Marketing, great, extra collateral (tee shirts, caps etc), great, glad you want to pay for that as part of your royalty fees. Pool tables and XBox make enough money on their own, do not need them for a true quality mens salon.
          BusConsultant Newbie
          Both the Too Hotties and Knockouts businesses are niche market businesses. As a seller of 8 different hair franchises, you can purchase several other salons for less money and develop quality services within your salon. With that said, the Too Hotties concept like Knockouts is a different type of salon for men looking for something different.

The investment in the entertainment in a Too Hotties Salon creates a fun environment that many men and boys would enjoy. There is no additional liability to that. There are some salons that serve free beer, which does add a liability to that business.

Products sales such as shampoo, T Shirts, Caps, etc are revenue generators. Name branding of products is also advertising as well for any business. While the hair business is a service business, product sales of all types are a very important part of it as well. Since most retail is marked up over 100%, it is a very positive part of the business. A good salon owner would be looking for a minimum of 20% of their business to include retail sales for 2 reasons. One is making their business a one stop shop for their customers in the hair related industry and the other is advertising throught name brand items (apparel is one).

Royalities: If you are concerned about paying royalties in any fashion, then you should not purchase a franchise. To argue that I don't want to sell something or do something because I'll pay more in royalties makes NO business sense whatsoever. Sure, if your total sales increase then you will pay more royalty. You will also make more money!

These are just common sense business parameters. If you are looking for the least expensive, basic hair salon to operate, there are several out there with smaller investments. If you are looking for a niche market business, then both of these are good concepts. There are also others out there which are niche market and might be appealing as well.

BTW, I have been in both businesses mentioned in this thread and liked them both. The Too Hotties has a few neat deals like Tanning and Shoeshines plus the entertainment side. So if it floats your boat, then I'd say learn more about it!
    tony76 Newbie
    Just an FYI, Too Hotties closed their doors in early December. Which investment and concept do you buy into now?
      tony76 Newbie
      Let me qualify that the Too Hotties in my area closed their doors after only opening in March 2008. Too Hotties as a franchise in other locations probably do much better.
      BusConsultant Newbie
      The owner, Phil Thompson, who was from England originally, closed the business and moved back to England. He and Stephanie were not happy in Aurora and moved back home. Unfortunately he preferred to walk instead of stay and sell the business.

Meanwhile, an area developer in Virginia purchased the store contents and is using it to open his first location there.

How do i know all this? I sold the area developer his Virginia operation and helped Phil sell his store contents.

There are dozens of businesses closing every month in different industries so this kind of stuff happens. Hopefully you will be successful in your venture!
    copper00 Newbie
    Hi -

I am also considering the Knockout franchise as an absentee owner. I am in an area with a very high population of 20yo - 35yo men and women. There is a hair salon on every corner, but none catering specifically to men. How can I realistically calculate the profit potential for such a franchise?

Thanks.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 100 points
  • Helpful Answers - 100 points