Post a new topic
    62 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2008 3:38 AM by intechspecial

Trouble for Web Design Companies

intechspecial Ranger

I just found this website that allows people to create beautifully designed websites in minutes, with a simple and easy to use drag and drop interface.

Looks like were in trouble.
        • Re: Trouble for Web Design Companies
          intechspecial Ranger
          This will be the newest competetion for small web design companies that focus on helping small business.

With the changes and advances in web/programming technologies, it won't be long before there are a ton of websites that offers you the small business owner to build a website for next to nothing, with an easy to use interface.

As a small business owner, we must learn to adapt to the industry changes, as well as forsee them to have a chance at success.
              intechspecial Ranger
              To make things more difficult, those that focus their efforts within flash development, and other catchy designs will lose profits with the next generation web allowing anyone with absolutely no knowledge of programming the ability to design a "better then average" website for a small business, for a small monthly fee. Site can and will be updated by the same person.

Suggestion to those in the business of web design for small business:

intechspecial Ranger
                  If I may be so bold to add a final suggestion.

The internet(obiviously) is moving completey away from a "read only" venue. Interaction is the key for success of any website or busines online.

If your web design business has been successful to this point, and you have the time and money, it is best to try and focus your efforts on buildind on online interactive application, that can enhance or even take over our current way of doing business.

Things are going to change and they are going to change QUICK. Soon their will be little or no need for an HTML web designer for small business.
                      ModernGorilla Wayfarer
                      You're right, we're doomed!

Of course, if you look at web design to be the end-all, be-all, that would be correct. For me it's always just been one component of advertising a small business (and usually the easiest part).
                          intechspecial Ranger
                          Yes Web Design is easy, I agree.

It is a difficult market to break into would you not agree?
                            Iwrite Pioneer
                            I think you hit on the real problem, a lot of small business owners think of web design as the "end all be all." They ignore or don't understand the need to put forth a real message that communicates a benefit for customers. I mean look at the majority of post here that rely on nothing but offering a cheaper price. Instead they could talk about insight and understanding markets, how to reach customers and drive traffic. There is no reason other than price for doing business with them.

What good is a website that people are not actively seeking? And give people a reason to stay on your site! The longer they stay, the more they learn about you and your product the more they tend to buy. And the more often they will return. But who wants return customers?
                                intechspecial Ranger

You bring an an extremely valid point I-Right.

Web design is not the end all and unfortunately to many people get the idea that 'if I have a website, I have a profit", and this sadly is not the case.

A website should be used as your online identity, as a way to validate that you are legitimate. I mean what legitimate business DOES NOT have a website? Could you imagine Bank of America trying to do business without one? What about Joe The Plumber? What type of exposure is he missing?

So their must be an appropriate mix for the two.

The bigger problem is that any valid USA company has the majority of competetion based in India and China.

So imagine if you need a website developed, and the response is "we are a USA based company, here are our benefits". (No mention of price but rates are an average of $90/hour for a top end company)
                                Orrrrrrrrrr you receive a response like this "we are an India based company, here are our benefits, and we charge $18/hour".(This is a top end company that has more work then the usa based company.

Suddenly, to add to this already cuthroat industry, comes technologies at a much higher level of proficiency then previously that allows any small business owner the ability to easily create a website with absolutely no HTML knowledge, with an easy to use drag and drop interface.

I-Right, if you do not mind me asking, I did not see a website in your profile, do you mind sharing the URL of your site?
                                    Iwrite Pioneer

No, I don't have a website up. And I am a legitimate company. I made a small piece of change this year, enough to live off. I think the importance of a company's web presence is depended on the type of business you are talking about.

Let's look at your burger example for instance - how many times have you gotten on the web to search for a burger? How important is it to customers of a burger place that the business have a website? Are people going to order burgers over the web? A website for a burger place can help build customer loyalty and encourage trail but is a website as important as great signage and a strong print campaign to the owner of a burger place? The honest answer is no. But still some of us would push having a website as a necessity for doing business when it isn't.

Now back to me. I believe in having a website for my agency, I am having trouble with what I want the website to do. I don't want the traditional show and tell website that most advertising agencies have where they show their work, the people and their cool office space. I want and am trying to build a website that engages folks about advertising, that informs and educates while allowing people to get to know us. I admit it is taking longer than I would like but the finished website will be closer to what I believe a website should be - more than a template filled with samples of work and biographies. I want it to be a conversation on advertising. The hard part is pulling it off well, but that is also the most important part.

I don't think there is going to be trouble for web design companies that understand what it is that they do, and find a clear way to communicate the real benefit of their services. It isn't about pretty designs or SEO strong designs, it is about developing a web presence that invites people in, holds their attention and gives them a reason to buy a product or service. If you can tell business owners that you can do that, then web design companies should not be in trouble.

And now to the small business owners who have or are thinking about having a website, a simple question: If you have a physical presence for your business off-line and customers were coming in and out of it to do business, how much time and money would you invest in designing and decorating your business to make a great impression on customers when they come into your business? And you only want to spend how much time and money to design and build you online business? Just a thought.

intechspecial Ranger
                                    To add insult to injury, part of developing a professional website includes great Search Engine Optimization.

I recently heard of an offer from a USA based company that offers SEO at the rate of $149/per month. This company is one of the best in the country, and is currently losing profits and business, and should be refocusing their marketing efforts. If they continue on their current plan, they will fail on all levels eventually.

Why might they fail you ask?

I am glad you asked that question.

They will fail because they are stubborninly and blatelingly are unresponsive to the obvious, and India based company charges the same services, with twice as many features for $29/hour.

Well of course not all USA based companies care to do business with India based company's. So you locate a USA based company to do the work. You will look for a company that offers the best quality and at an appropriate rate. So you do a search for SEO in google, and the first two companies that come happen to be USA based. The first company offers a rate of $149 per month(but of course this rate is hidden until you are sold on the service). The second company offers a rate of $59 per hour, openly displays their rates and offers twice as many services as the first.(They are oustourcing to an India based company unbeknown to you the American based company).
                                        intechspecial Ranger
                                        Another "sensible" way to look at this is imagine driving through the downtown of a small city.

You have three restaurants:

Restaurant #1: All American Burgers, Angus Mouthwatering Beef Patties. (No mention of price, until you place your order and continue to drive through. Drive through gives you burger and then asks for $14.99)

Restaurant #2: India Based Burgers, Angus Mouthwatering Beef Patties, only $0.29 a burger. (Of course the thought of this turns your stomach, as who knows how long it took for the burger to get here, and what actually is this "beef patty" made of).

Restaraunt #3: Big Al's BurgerBuster, Angus Mouhtwatering Beef Patties.(Board has display of specials, and no mention of who they are or what they do.)

Man do I want a Big Al MegaBurger Meal Deal, and at the price of $6 you cannot go wrong.
                                            intechspecial Ranger

To place the final stamp of approval on my debate, I will add the following:

When have you recently shopped at Wal-Mart, K-mart, of CVS Pharmacy? Did you think about where the plastic they sale comes from?

Have you recently opened the hood of your car? Do you understand that Ford purchases a good percentage of what you see from China? The car might be build in America, but all the parts are made in China.

Do you really understand the cost of any product that is completely American made? Imagine paying $79,000 for a used 2002 Ford Bronco(completely American made including all parts). It runs like a champ, as long as you keep a case of oil in the trunk.

So as a legitimate "web design company" it is not as simple to say "I offer great services that really work".

Hence the need to either drop your prices or find a creative way to do business.

As a final and conclusive argument, I will add this:

Go to and you will find a designer that is an American Based Disabled Volunteer Web Developer.

As I speak I happened to look at the bottom of my coffee mug and it did not say "great quality product", it simply said "Made In China"

Wake up America, as I need some sleep, and will help you in your efforts(or lack their of) later.
                                                ModernGorilla Wayfarer
                                                Wow, it's pretty black or white in here.

Shades of gray really; a local web designer/developer who can leverage their production overseas is going to do very well. If I can communicate effectively and keep my clients up to date I've done my job.. who cares where the work actually gets done?
                                                    Iwrite Pioneer
                                                    I didn't see my response as black or white, more off blue with a hint of yellow splashed in it. (that be my attempt at humor)

I totally missed the comment about where sites are made. I know for a fact that Pepsi and it's brands, Pizza Hut, Coke and its brands, McDonald's, Domino's, and many of the P&G brands are not outsourcing. Dell, just paid billions to build a US advertising agency to handle all of the work including interactive. For me, it is about how you like to work. I enjoy sitting with a designer and an art director and bouncing things off of each other in person. I don't mind working with someone over long distance but I prefer to be in the same location. But that is a personal choice. Different strokes for different folks.
                                                        ModernGorilla Wayfarer
                                                        I wasn't referring to your response, more or less just commenting on how web design companies are perceived to be in trouble because of 'cheap labor' overseas.

As you mentioned, many small/local businesses want to sit down with their web designer/marketer and bounce ideas around- that's a natural process. I'm talking about my own business model which provides this.. but also outsources the grunt work whenever possible.
                                                            Iwrite Pioneer
                                                            Thanks for the clarification.

I think not having a clear message, other than price, hurts web design companies. Outsourcing has its advantages and drawbacks, but the real problem is the perception that what web design companies do is nothing special is the real problem. Web design like any other design job is first and foremost an art form it requires a level of skill and creativity that doesn't come from a book or a course. The really great designers make it look simple but it isn't.
                                                                ModernGorilla Wayfarer
                                                                You're right- I work for a large web design firm and the perception is that anyone can do it- they're just paying us to because they don't want to bother with it (I'm rolling my eyes as I type this). As you mentioned, it is an art form, and one that takes a few years to learn because you're actually designing out a graphical user interface and not merely putting content on a page; leading the eye around and creating an inviting environment takes some skillz. ;)

But either way, I'll skip around that and focus only on what will bring customers through their door. It's not worth arguing that they could 'do it themselves' because there is no way they would understand the scope involved.
                                                                    intechspecial Ranger
                                                                    ModernGorilla -

Thanks again for the comment, if I might as, where exactly is your portfolio of the work you have done on your site.

Also, I love the design of the site, is that a customized WordPress template?

Thanks again for the feedback.
                                                                        ModernGorilla Wayfarer
                                                                        I've had my hand in a thousand successful designs but I'm not going to use any of them because they aren't in the direction I'm seeking (I don't want to confuse anyone). I'm in the process of creating some new demo sites to show perspective clients and the site right now is really just to get my rankings started.

I designed it myself and it's actually full CSS with no backend.. that'll change in the future, but again, so will a lot of things. ;)
                                                                            intechspecial Ranger
                                                                            Very cool.

I apologize I misunderstood, as I thought you were a well established corporate entity with years of business experience.

Please forgive my misunderstanding.
                                                                                ModernGorilla Wayfarer
                                                                                I work for an established company that has done approximately seven thousand sites, this is just my pet project. I've got years of experience here and working within small, regional businesses that lends me a unique perspective on the subject.

IWrite is spot on in his assessment of where web design is going; I'd love to elaborate more but I'm not going to show my cards just yet.
                                                                                    intechspecial Ranger
                                                                                    I will be interested in seeing the cards you will play, and I think I might actually be able to learn something from this thread, although it clearly seems I already have all the answers.
                                                                                    Some times having all the answers simply means you only have the best questions.

So please expand, if I might ask, on how a web design company can stay profitable five years from now?
                                                                                        ModernGorilla Wayfarer
                                                                                        Intech, the best way to see how a web design company can stay profitable five years from now is to stop looking at web design as the answer. You need to become a web-marketing company and you need to be proactive in measuring and tuning in to your client's needs.

As the post above mentions, a lot of small business owners can do this themselves, but they are not going to stay abreast of new developments or know how to maximize their potential (some will, of course, but most should be focused on running a business.. not promoting it).

Take the PR company model, scale it for the web, and start generating a pool of clients that you focus intensely on- don't just build a site, nurture a mutally rewarding relationship.

Again, I've been looking at this for the last year so I'm not going to start giving away my ideas on how to accomplish this, but that's the gist.
                                                                                        Iwrite Pioneer
                                                                                        As a measure of disclosure - if you want to see my latest site that I helped to concept and write go to I was the writer on that project until recently. This isn't a brag or a boast but an insight into where I am coming from when I talk about interactive. I see no reason why the things that are done for big business online cannot and should not be done for small and medium businesses. When smaller web design firms understand and take advantage of this then their future will as bright as can be.

Think bigger.
                                                                                            intechspecial Ranger
                                                                                            If you are serious about that you have worked with, I stand sadly mistaken by my perception of your business.

That is quite a brag(to say the least) to have worked on that level.

My biggest brag was a 1 day deployment project with the Department of Homeland Securities Offices in the Federal Building in downtown Cleveland.

It was an honor and a shock that I would even have such an opportunity.

If anyone doubts the validity of this, I would be happy to supply references if you can prove that you are a legitimate business.
                                                                                                Iwrite Pioneer
                                                                                                I am very serious. I have been blessed that my career has covered some really good advertising agencies and clients. I don't drop names because it isn't my style. Sound advice is sound advice - we need to learn to listen to people and recognize good advice when we hear it without having to know their history.

I will take you at your word about the work you have done, that's the type of person I am.
                                                                                                    intechspecial Ranger
                                                                                                    Very good, I will look for this.

I would offer you my linkedin profile url, but I get the feeling your motives are not of integrity.

Search as you would like, you will be shocked at the results.
                                                                                                        Iwrite Pioneer
                                                                                                        "I would offer you my linkedin profile url, but I get the feeling your motives are not of integrity.

Search as you would like, you will be shocked at the results."

I rest my case. This attack was not warranted. And you want to accuse others of attacking you? I'm not sure what your issues are but you really need to take a good look at your actions and words. I just told you that I take you at your word about your experience, and you respond with these words? Have you even noticed that less and less people are even responding to you?
                                                                                                        intechspecial Ranger
                                                                                                        Please understand that I am only trying to establish myself and my business, and do not wish to make enemies via this community.

I will of course openly disclose direct references for businesses that can establish they have a valid reason for their request.

I keep the privacy of my referrals at the highest level, as I do not wish for persons to harass my business relationships.

I will follow through to the full extent of the law, if contact of my business relations is used for defamation or slander.
                                                                                                            Iwrite Pioneer

As far as business goes, we swim in different waters. The only thing I am interested in getting from this forum is information and encouragement. I do not solicit business here. Check my past posts. I am sorry that you feel you have to resort to threatening people but do what you feel you have to.

No where did I ask for your references. I have never expressed an interest in working with you. You do not have anything I want. I was trying to help you.

It must be a sad existence to see enemies everywhere you look.
                                                                                                                Iwrite Pioneer
                                                                                                                Post away. This is no longer a conversation I wish to be a part of. Good luck again.
                                                                                                                  intechspecial Ranger

Iwrite -

You are extremely right on this, and I am not being sarcastic at all.

It is an extremely sad existence to be afraid of people every where you go.

So do I allow this to be my defining characteristic?

I have no choice but it to be my defining characteristic, but at the same time, I will fight on every level to combat the very thing that has destroyed me on every level.

So what do I do? I try to do something good for myself, and society in general. I take the very thing that is ugly and makes me nothing and I use it to try and empower myself and others.

Have I succeeded? Yes I have, if only minimally.

I have been able to help a handful of organizations in what they do, so that they may help people or a cause.

How much do I charge?

When you have something that takes so much from your life every day, you must give back.

What is my alternative?

I understand your frustration and animosity that you have with me and my perspectives, much more then you will ever realize or understand.

The difference between you and me, is that you get to close your web browser and can leave it here on this website.

I close my web browser and it is with me, every where I go.

I do not choose to carry this burden, but I have no choice.

So I make do with what I have, and I continue to try.

So at least one day I can say...........

I had this horrible disease that took over my life, but through business and volunteerism, I was still able to do a tiny bit of good.
                                                                                                                      Lighthouse24 Ranger

Intechspecial, your own corporate website describes you as having "nothing to offer but negativity and depravation from society. On a day to day basis he thinks of nothing but himself and what he can do to make his life and his life only, better. Although (your name) has had a few substantial accomplishments, he still is nothing more then a flawed entity that drains all that might come in his path, as it really is "all about me".

Are you thinking someone else can "top" that in terms of defamation? Although I'm NOT a marketing guy, I can't see how that message to the world about you and your business is helping you attract clients or accomplish your stated objective.
                                                                                                                          intechspecial Ranger

That is an extremely good question, and I am actually quite glad you asked.

If I might pre-empt this by saying that I use to hide that I have a disability from everyone. This is how I recieved the IT contracts with Cleveland Clinic, Department of Homeland Security, ADT securities, etc, etc, etc.

I thought that if I put my mind only on my work that I would overcome my disabled mind. It worked but only temporarily. The work was to much, and I became mentally sicker.

So I had to quit my efforts to work full time. I started my own company, "Integrity Technology Specialists". I thought hey I could own my own business and set my own hours, this way if I became sick, I could take time off and not affect anyones business but my own. My business at this point was a computer and repair business. I fought and struggled to develop any work. Finally I got a humongous break, and found a company that was going to sub contract me. My pay rate was up to $65/ hour. Initially it was done with relative ease, but in a short period of time, the travel and meeting people I did not know became to much for me to handle. I tried to subcontract work out to people, through a business associate. These were people that were also struggling(poverty, welfare system), but had a newly attained degree in Information Technology. They ones I subcontracted, failed on every level. The business that hired me as a sub contractor lossed a big client.

I still would not disclose my disabilty, and decided that considering my anxiety around people, it might be better for me to work from home only.

Hence a new dream(or delusion), was born. I then took my previous skills and experience and applied them to Web Development. I was able to develop a few clients(pro bono), but still had problems from my mental illness.

I continued to hide my disability in fear of societies response to me.

After having an extreme episode, I decided I had no choice but to disclose my disability.

So rather then saying to everyone "hey I am a great guy that will build a website for you for free", I decided to say "I am this really mentally sick guy that is trying to help society and give back when his disability takes so much".

The even bigger problem with this view point is that I am not alone. This "mental sickness" is in each and everyone one of us on some level.

The biggest problem is that most cannot even see they are a problem.

My website most certainly does say "nothing to offer but negativity and depravation from society. On a day to day basis he thinks of nothing but himself and what he can do to make his life and his life only, better. Although (your name) has had a few substantial accomplishments, he still is nothing more then a flawed entity that drains all that might come in his path, as it really is "all about me

This is not just me, it is human nature.

So my point in all of this is.........

If this insane monster has the ability to take responsibility and give back..............

why can't you?

At the same time, hopes of making an honest profit.

Not reality based?

For me, it is better to live this way then to live in reality.

I am what society calls " a mentally ill monster".

To make matters worse, I have a heart condition, sarcoidosis, asthma, severe sleep apnia, memory loss from several concussions, and a recent diagnosis of degenatarive disc disease.

This "delusion" of the idea I will ever be successful, gives me the ability to think and believe my life actually has real value, even though in my heart of hearts I feel it does not.

To make matters worse, I have passed on this wretched existence to my daughter, as at 12 years of age she has been diagnosed with a mental illness as well.

So it no longer becomes an option to not try and succeed. If I do not succeed, my daughter will be thrown into the public mental health system, which could have her drooling off of herself by the age of 25.

If I have the finances and abilities to accomplish business success, she can get GOOD PRIVATE help, and not the wretched public mental health that is provided.

So I will continue, without avail, on this "delusion" for a business, on the hopes that someday I might be successful.

Even if not, I have been given relief from the pain of my physcial ailments and my mental turmoil on a day to day basis.

As sick as I am I still want to accomplish something in my life other then "insanity".
                                                                                                                              felkinsworks Wayfarer
                                                                                                                              You should write some ebooks. and sell them on . free to sign up ... 50% split. you can make your ebooks about your mental problems. might help others. Plus you can write, so take a break then do some more writing. I know some programers out thier making less than me! poor . I have a freind who started making his music on line he works for the State of CA anyway ... after 3 years he now only makes about around $89,000 thosand a year working part time making music.

I have another friend who cannot sell his music on line for free. and I think his music is better than the guy above?

I met a metally retarded guy, he came into a bar one day here in Sacramento CA, he was leaglly retarded. he had a house two brand new dodge trucks. loaded! He bought ever one in the bar a drink and had two women following him around!

So i asked if he would teach me his skills.! I said i would work for free. ! so I worked for him.
                                                                                                                              Now he cleans windows, so I went with him, we cleaned A nice rich house $900,000 !

But when it came time to pay, He asked for $350.00 for one 8 hour day! not bad... But the home owner said " NO" "We need to pay you right," the home owner gave him $100 more so he made $450.00 not bad for one days work.
                                                                                                                              I could not belive it!

I clean the windows better, The above guy did not even know how to clean the windows etc ... but because the home owners felt bad for the retarded guy they gave him more! and re-rehired him again next year!

That guy inspired me to get out there and work harder!

I have had a long hard trip too, my first was to learn Java programming, Just as i am able to program a little, peoples over seas could program faster, cheaaaaaaaaaper than me! some of those programers are only makeing $7.00per hour!
                                                                                                                              So to compete I need to program better. But found a compay here in Folsom CA, They fly in prohramers from INDIA and pay them about $15 per h to $35, but thiose programers works as a team, so thay can program alot really fast! amazing ! you have 10 people programing on one project, they can but up a whole web site faster than anyone I have ever seen!

So how can you compete?

Now I am trying to learn and make 3D moives I am using Blender a free software, my goal now it to make cool 3D stuff
                                                                                                                              and load it on a website to create new traffic, for the customer. the better the Idea, the more peole will see it, and more sales for the customer. I found out it's been a log hard work. I am still learning ..but getting better. The next to hit the web will be web TV
                                                                                                                              were you can have your own channel, boy thats cool, my goal is to make 3D movies and put them fro free on the internet and hope people will like them!

If you can make the best web movie you can attract people to your site then $$$ they buy from you or from your clients site.
                                                                                                                              I just read about a guy who worked for micrsoft then letf to work for google makes good $$$ saling his tee shirts on line!
                                                                                                                              like from meta cafe or

I Hope i will have my site fixed up by next week check it out then.

Mark Felkins

PS its always good to tell people inadvanced about your limits.

If you want a good laugh see me at youtube seach under stray cat the vent fair oaks cal see my videos!

thanks and good luck!
                                                                                                                                  intechspecial Ranger
                                                                                                                                  Thanks for your reply, it is encouraging.

Yes people are quite aware of my limits, the funny thing is that the more I do this, the less limits I have. My limitations are my mind, and my mind is allowed full creativity in what I do, yet I am always keeping the highest level of professionalism, and integrity, along with error free results. I expect in a short period of time, you will see an even bigger expansion on what I am doing, and contrary to prior belief, a man who is insane, can accomplish business results.

As far as programming I understand your frustration completely. I have a good base understanding in, visual basic, ,php, any code out their I can give you a base of how it works, and resolve minor to medium problems.

The problem is basically as you describe it. I am currently working a project for someone based in Austrailia, for a whopping $6/hour.

To make matters worse, the only way I have been able to break into the market is through doing nothing but free work.

The great thing about this is that I have a hugh core group of supporter, that expand the width of the globe, and maybe even a few galaxies as well.

This has turned into a potentially bigger project which will lead to other even bigger projects.

My limitations on this end are next to null, since I do all my work from the comfort of my own home. I am on the computer doing this stuff anyways, up to 12 or more hours a day at times. So I have currently the ability to succeed without limitations.

To make things easier on myself, I have the ability to outsource some of my very own work to others. So let's say I am doing work that is comparable to the USA standard of $125/hour. Why would I charge this much if I can outsource to up to 10 developers that work better and faster then me? I just have to review what they are doing, and make sure before hand that they actually have a clue, through there portfolio and past work.

The great thing about what you are doing as a java programmer you can do the very same thing. You just need some good sales and marketing tactics.

My way of doing business, has just caused it to potentially burst at the seams, and I might need more professionals working under me that I can trust and I am confident in their abilities.

So your rate and are of expertiese will allow you much success, you just have to know how to apply your abilities to make them work.

As far as selling t-shirts and such, why would I want to step into using a magic marker, when I have a scientific calculator at my fingertips?

Please feel free to contact me, but you must understand my organization is based on volunteerism, period.

Thanks for your post, and please sit back and enjoy the ride, as it is getting to be quite a enjoyable one at that.

(inTech "SPECIAL")
                                                                                                  intechspecial Ranger
                                                                                                  You are correct that it is black(font) and white(background).

I have also noticed that there is an occastional blue(hyperlink) and a few colorful avatars.

This thread is becoming more informative and entertaining by the minute.

Unfortunately it has been "hijacked" and is now off focus.

I am interested if anyone has views on the future market of web design companies.
                                                                                                      Iwrite Pioneer
                                                                                                      I don't think this was hijacked or off focus. We are talking about the future market of web design, just not in the way you were expecting. I am saying that the future should be strong for those who can position themselves as more than a set of extra hands but as a real asset to a business. Once web design firms land on that message it will not matter what new programs or sites pop up.

The key to securing a future for web design companies lies in communicating the relevance they have to the success of a business. The trend for web design is moving towards retention - how long visitors to a site remain on the site and are engaged. Templates cannot delivery that. There is where the future for web design is. The sooner designers get there, the faster they will realize the future.

I think the future for real designers is bright. I think small and medium sized businesses will need to transition their websites to more retention based designs very soon and designers need to be getting ahead of the wave.

How is all of this not talking about the future market of web design companies?
                                                                                                    sassysandy Newbie
                                                                                                    Only had my web site for a year now, and it's doing very well. No compliments to my hosting company. I was paying $25 per month for optimization that really wasn't doing anything for my site, that I could see. I dropped it and only pay for the site. After alot of reading about this subject I have learned that you can do your own advertising on the net for free or a small fee. And, it worked! Actually, I have had more visitor's with this method than the one I paid for. I was mislead by the hosting company. They lead me astray by way of not telling me what I needed to do to use this, they made me believe that just paying for it would give me a higher ranking. Not true. I also have another business that only requires two pages. I have a new web site for this business that I just happen to come accross and it's free! So I have linked the two. There is so much to learn, setting up the site is much easier compared to advertising, and advertising is key! I would tell anyone that wants to start a business to make sure they are sealling something they really have a passion for or truly believe in. Do your research. Read everything you can in general about hosting companies and optimization vs advertising and how to go about it. Make a list of questions to ask a hosting company before you sign up. Better to find one with a free trial, just in case. You can't start a business over night. It takes dedication, percerverence and alot of time. But, it's really worth it. People are still spending money. There are still people who have money to spend. Good Luck!
                                                                                      Lighthouse24 Ranger

Within this community, Iwrite and I have disagreed WAY more than we have agreed -- yet I respect his viewpoint and professionalism, and believe he has always extended me the same courtesy. In the real world, we might like each other, then again we might not -- but I'll guarantee that, either way, we'd be able to work together toward a common business goal if the opportunity arose.

Professionalism and mutual respect are essential to developing a small business, and to finding one's place in a supportive community.
                                                                                          intechspecial Ranger
                                                                                          Lighthouse -

Since day one of my entering this community, you have offered a rebuttal and remark as to why I am wrong in everything I do.

You have stated that I have no abilities, yet offered encouragement, and at the same time pointed out how I will fail.

I have not one time seen you offer this level of professionalism to Iwrite, although many others have left the community because of this level of interaction.

So Iwrite and yourself have this level of professionalism that you offer yourselves within every post.

I also find it interesting that you have both recently stepped up this level of interaction as I have recently passed Iwrite on the leader board, and now I am catching you.

Through all of this, you are able to end the post with how I am being "attacking" or "aggressive" and it actually looks quite believable.

This thread was originally started to make a comment about changes in the web development industry.

Yet now it is a place to attack intechspecial.

Do as you must.
                                                                                          intechspecial Ranger

Another thing that I have noticed in the changes of the industry is the change of technology advances.

Microsoft offers a new implementation, called silverlight, and is a great competitior to Adobe's flash.

It will take time before Silverlight is completely propogated through the internet, but when it does, the results will be completely unbelievable.

The 2008 olympics utilized Silverlight Streaming.

The internet is changing faster then we realize, and the new face of the internet is going to allow much more interactivity and a much more stunning grahpical enhancements.

What will your web design company do to adapt to these changes?
                                                                                            felkinsworks Wayfarer

Yahoo has a free site builder program too. its great!

Most of the big corps hire AD firms like Ogilvy & Mather. this company used to promise 10% 50% uptick in sales or it was freeeeeeeee! or sometimes they paid their client money!

I studyed this company for awhile, They sale Ideas, there Ads are out there! This company sales YOU.

Like with anything.... its Ideas that sales, like music, art, etc. The same with Web sites!

Look at the yellow pages you see companys who can buy a full AD...... some companys only a name & number!

The bigger AD wins most of the time.

The internet you can now down load video about your company, etc.

Blogs are too big now whats next? It might be your Idea that makes it big!

I saw a site in New York, great 3D site ...showed his 3D room, If you clicked on the window the curtains would open and you could see a 3D godzilla with fire ! it was kind of fake but coooool! he go millions of hits !!

You cannot be a just a programer anymore! you have to be an artist, develper of Ideas, 3D, CGI, art work, video works etc.
                                                                                            the goal is to bring customers to a website ...just having some picks and video are not enough.
                                                                                            you can make anything with Blender with out programming! nice. Or you can have some one program Blender for you!

I have been using blender 3D software its free... you can make real looking pics, video, complie it, convert it to flash if you like and put it on a website!

I have a way to get traffic to your site, lots of work, If your a small company you can do it your self, If you have a growing company then you will not have the time to to the work! hire me!

But when we get people to your site, if the site looks like, sonys web site boring ! or others like it. But sony has all the money too, so that doest matter for them.

Check out snickers web site the candy bar maker, boy I like that site, Nobody is going to tell you how to make a great site!

They keep there gold close to them.

There are alot of scams out there, I found a company that will make fake traffic to your site ! so you look good on the net!
                                                                                            but your wallet is empty ! Or you can pay per click , I heard some companys paid out as much as $100. per click, not per customer...per click! yaaa some people over sea's just clicking away at your site and split the money! fake people! nice!

Dream If I have investment money a golden angel, who would fund my company, I have a new Idea, that would bring traffic to your site or to your door NOW! chew on that ! If you got some money! call me. will talk. You have to sign some paper work.

dont give up!

If you need help let me know 916 821-7378

Mark A. Felkins