Post a new topic
    12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2008 4:56 AM by Mongoose

Are you a Rainmaker...?

iventures Adventurer
      Two shoe salesmen land in Africa. Upon seeing hundreds of people walking around barefoot, one salesman sends a telegram back to his home office. "No sales here, no one wears shoes." While the second salesman wrote back, "Huge market, everyone needs shoes."

Rainmakers aren't witch doctors who dance to make it rain. Rather, they're salespeople who see markets overflowing where most of us see nothing but desert.
        • Re: Are you a Rainmaker...?
          GrowthCurve Adventurer
          I tell that story often.

Of course, you also have to know when there's a fundamental reason that you can't "sell shoes" to a market.
            LUCKIEST Guide
            Are you a Rainmaker?? YES

We need a humor catagory to spread more cheer.

intechspecial Ranger
              I am most certainly not a rainmaker and I am deeply offended that you would ask such a think.

I can of course cause a world-wide spread of dust, at absolutely no charge.

iventures Adventurer
                  |How to Become A Rainmaker
                  The Rules for Getting and Keeping Customers and Clients
                  By Jeffrey J. Fox
                  ISBN 0 7868 6595 4
                  Hyperion New York 2000
                  169 pages|!!

The Big Idea
                  Inspired by Native American tradition, the Rainmaker is one who uses his power to bring rain to nourish crops that feed the tribe. In sales, a rainmaker is the revenue-bringer to a company. She brings the very lifeblood of the organization and makes the cash register ring. Here are the rules to being the Rainmaker, the salesperson that gets and keeps customers.

Rainmaker Credo
                  • Cherish customers at all times.* Treat customers as you would your best friend.* Listen to customers to decipher their needs.* Give the customers what they need.* Price your product to its dollarized value* Show customers the dollarized value of what they will get* Teach customers to want what they need.* Make your product the way the customer wants it.* Get your product to the customer when they want it.* Give your customers a little extra, more than they expect.* Remind customers of the dollarized value they received.* Thank each customer sincerely and often.* Help customers pay you, so they won't be embarrassed and go elsewhere.* Ask to do it again.Always answer the question, "Why should I do business with you?"
                  The answer has to be tailored to fit your customer's agenda. You need to make her feel good, or solve the problem for her. Calculate the economic benefit per dollar and show her the consequences of life without your product, in terms of dollars and cents. More often, it is best to graphically show how much the customer will save when she puts your product to good use.
                  Obey marketing's first commandment.
                  Treat customers as you would treat yourself. Don't overcharge, put them on endless hold, or give them the runaround. Service is the key word. Put yourself in his shoes. Deliver on every promise and add a little bit extra.

The customer doesn't care about you.
                  Do not make excuses for not making a delivery. He doesn't want to hear it. Clarify and summarize what he wants from you and determine how you can help solve the problem.

Always plan every sales call.
                  Script what you are going to say. Rehearse with a colleague. Anticipate customer objections. Even if it is a fifteen-minute sales call with a decision-maker, that crucial fifteen minutes has to be planned so every minute counts. Practicing and planning for days before the call should be the norm. But allow yourself to be flexible when it comes down to the actual call. If the customer says she will order after just 60 seconds into your hour-long presentation, then stop talking, take the order and leave gracefully. . . . . . . . .
                  jooova Newbie
                  A good story. Many sales will benefit from it.
                    I do believe I am a rainmaker. My motto has always been 'Innovate, not emulate' - Something that seems to be slipping in todays world of trends and fear of change. We're at an aphex of communication and collaboration, but yet things still function like we're walled off in some building, still writing our ideas down on post-it notes.