Post a new topic
    11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2008 5:57 AM by intechspecial

Open Source Software : A Viable Option (Short List)

newcreationit Newbie

There are a growing number of open-source enterprise products that can be readily customized for organizations. These include complete solutions for Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Customer Relationship Management (CRM), E-commerce, Asset management, E-procurement, Human Resource Management (HR), E-learning, Document Management, Content Management systems (CMS) and other business applications. With over 100,000+ open source products available for download it is very likely that "some one some where" has built some thing very close to what you need. So why invest time and money in reinventing the wheel. What's more attractive is that these software systems are available for free or at very minimal cost. The logical option is to use open source software as a starting point.

Open-source software is becoming pervasive for core computing and business applications. Everything from basic operating and telecommunications systems to accounting, inventory, contact management and personal productivity applications, can be run on open-source software. As you do not pay for the free open-source software you have a low cost of acquisition, and you have the source code as well. Your only expense is for the customization, deployment and support that accompany the open-source software. Using open source you can save money, take products to market quickly, and get higher quality through best-of-breed software solutions.

Here is a short list that you might find useful:

New Creation Information Technologies
      "Helping Organizations Leverage Technology"
      http://www.newcreationit.com/
        • Re: Open Source Software : A Viable Option (Short List)
          intechspecial Ranger

newcreationit -

Welcome to the community!

Mike(intechspecial)
            LUCKIEST Guide
            Open Source Software : A Viable Option, Welcome Ashish,

Very interesting. "Helping Organizations Leverage Technology"

I am a SCORE counselor and will bring this subject up at the next meeting.

Good luck, LUCKIEST
              snipperred Scout
              Great post!

I am using Ning for social networking and customer relationship building, Microsoft Office Live Small Business for website and may incorporate their storefront, also WikiDot for knowledge-base development and project management- all free, easy, and professional grade. You listed a few I haven't looked into yet. Thanks! I'll be looking into your profile too.

Best,

Anthony
                intechspecial Ranger

Their are a few things any company should think about before deciding on utilizing a company that customizes open source solutions.

I am sure that newcreationit will agree with me on some of these, and probably could ad some input of their own.

Make sure that the company you are working with understands and obeys all copyright laws in regards to every open source application. You can get into alot of trouble if you utilize a company that does not obey a copyright, but at the bottom of the site places "Copyright 2008 YourCompany.com".

Unless you feel you can really trust the company you are working with, make sure to look into there portfolio to insure the quality of there work.

Thanks again newcreationit for this thread, and I wish you well in business.
                  blitzlocal Adventurer
                  newcreationit--

This is a great list! Any recommendations on open source social networking software?
                  In other words, how to build your own Facebook?
                  Also, for the small business owners on this forum-- how about for email marketing?
                  I used phplist by tincan, which has come a long way, but isn't like a lyris (which is crazy expensive).

Thanks,
                  Dennis
                  analyst, blitzlocal.com
                  internet marketing for small business
                      intechspecial Ranger

I think this would depend on what Specifically your requirements are for your "facebook" type application, as well as the amount of money and staff you have for your investment.
                        snipperred Scout
                        As I stated above, I use Ning for my social networking application. I should add it is free and customizable. It also outclasses Facebook. However, as a platform, has relatively low stats since it just started a little over a couple years ago. I think somewhere along 500K networks now. I set up my network as an introduction to this open source technology.

Now to clarify: it is a web based platform. However, I believe you can get the code and you can put it on your own server. They do offer upgrades to storage and bandwidth for those networks that take off and I think that is actually more affordable than having on your own server. Plus their network is really maintained well. Ning is currently a private business with major investments- they are going to make a run on FaceBook, Myspace, and LinkedIn. I think they are going to do well because the interface is fantastic and far superior in my opinion. I also like the idea that I can own my code, customize it, and back it up or host it on my own server.

In terms of social networking, introducing this free application is just my way of networking myself. So check it out. www.arealight.ning.com I'd be happy to answer your questions or point you to check out Ning directly.

Best,

Anthony
                            intechspecial Ranger
                            I have not heard of ning previously, and I will have to take a look at what they have to offer.

Thanks for the information snipperred.
                                snipperred Scout
                                Cool,

There are a variety of open source software directories. I like Tocows when looking them up. Also, for multimedia, I've found NCH suites are professional grade. They offer the audio at professional grade in the hopes professionals which catch on to the value in their enhanced paid versions. I like the compliment that adds to my Windows Movie Maker which comes standard on most Windows versions now.

If you are into PDF documents as a standard and secure means of document management, then let me recommend CutePDF. That allows you to print anything to PDF. Pretty sweet tool.

Also, I haven't really looked into it much, but I noticed recently Java has a whole suite of document apps like Word. I can't stand not having Microsoft Office programs like Word and Excel. I've lost it a couple times when doing full OS recoveries. Trying to find an Open Source alternative can be a pain. So the Java document apps seem to be a professional standard worth looking up if that need arises.

Finally, my favorite open source project isn't software, but rather knowledge-based. I highly recommend checking out MIT's Open CourseWare. It's world-class, entirely free, and only implies the value of a paid education from that institution is that much more incredible.

Best,

Anthony
                                    intechspecial Ranger
                                    Anthony,

Yes I have done a bit of studying on the MIT courseware site.

Isn't that freaking unbelievable, a free education.

I learn more every day, my brain is filling to its memory capacity.

I will be looking for a back up hard drive soon to transfer old and useless data.

Also, just an FYI, Microsoft offers a wealth in free training as well.

www.asp.net
                                    www.silverlight.net
                                    www.msdn.com

These are just a few of the sites.
                              Navigator
                              Amazing list! I love to see people showing the free options to aspiring business owners, as I believe in open source alot.