Hi Barky - there's a lot of buzz about this right now. Caffeine has definitely affected search results for some people (http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/022128.html) and the changes appear to be pretty recent. To answer your questions:
- Google has always weighted backlinks very highly. Caffeine now places more emphasis on trusted sites with authority so backlinks are even more important
- Good content is always good since it should help to attract backlinks. It should always be combined with seeking out links though
- Caffeine is placing more emphasis on a number of areas: site speed, correct META tags, trusted URLs (possibly including keywords), freshness of the site. Along with increasing links, these would be good areas to focus on
I hope this helps. If any of this is confusing do let me know. Good luck!
The doctor is in! Thanks for such a detailed response, dr.richard.
This info helps a lot. I guess with "Caffeine" it's now really important to focus on the *quality *of sites linking to your site. Hopefully, this means that some of the "spammy" sites will drop out of the rankings (and make room for quality sites).
No problem - I'm glad you found it useful. You're right - quality comes first, both in the content of your website pages and also in the sites that link back to yours. It would be really interesting to hear any other stories from people who think their search rankings have been affected by the new caffeine update --- and what they plan to do about it!
Excellent posts Dr
After Caffeine, the May Day update was made and hurted many e-commerce.
You can read more here: http://www.mediabuyerplanner.com/entry/51777/may-day-and-caffeine-what-to-keep-change-with-seo/
Yes and no. It is hard to really determine the reason for your loss of traffic because a lot of factors are involved. Although it may have.
- google still focuses a lot on backlinks
-give both the same amount of attention, good content increases the rate of conversion.
-not much. it seems that you are doing great. just more blogs and backlinking.
Best of luck.
- Has Google changed the "weight" it gives to back links?
- Should I be focused on new content rather than back links?
- Any advice you can give for optimizing a site for the new Caffeine algorithms?
Thanks much in advance,