Employee Retention Ideas
- Hiring the right people. This is easier said than done, as today there are so many ways in which employees make the HR managers believe that they are the right choice for the job. But, if you grill the employee a bit more during the interview, chances are that he/she can make revelations which can be an indicator for you to decide if the candidate is worth investing in. So, HR managers should carefully fact-find as to why the candidate needs the job. Sustained questions may give you an insight about the candidate's behavior. Also, a thorough background check is necessary to be sure about the employee's credentials.
- Keeping your staff well-informed. Communication is an important part of any organization as it lets employees understand their roles in a better way. If you are planning to start out any new projects or you have reviewed company policies, make sure that you communicate it to all your employees. This helps in keeping rumors at bay.
- Involving employees in important decisions. This can benefit the organization as well, as may be the employees come up with a solution to the problem, you thought never existed. When you involve your employees and take their opinions, the employees feel valued and this can really boost the employee performance.
- Taking feedback frequently. Don't wait for the employee to knock on your door and say, "I need to talk to you". Instead reach out to them by conducting one-to-ones and assuring them that whatever they discuss will remain truly confidential. This can help in cases where female employees are facing harassment from their immediate superiors but think that the person is far too important for the company to complain about. Conducting employee satisfaction surveys also helps the organization to take a retrospective view of itself. Make the employees believe that whatever issues that they are facing would be looked into.
- Providing growth opportunities. Doing the same job everyday brings a monotony in an employee's professional life. This is also one of the reasons for employees quitting the organization. Every employee wants to climb the corporate ladder so it is the job of the organization to provide enough growth opportunities from time to time. This can be done by having internal job promotions, where the employees can compete against each other to go one step up in the organization. This also helps in employee motivation.
- Having flexibility. Be flexible in your approach when it comes to accommodating employee's requests for leaves, vacations, etc. Because apart from being employees, they have a personal life as well. This promotes goodwill among the employees.
- Encouraging creativity. Allow the employees to come up with ideas. Never under-estimate their potential, this way may be you can create future leaders for your organization.
- Providing recreation. Having a yoga session in the office for the employees can help them fight work related stress and will also help them stay fit and healthy. The organization benefits as it reduces the chances of employees falling sick and also helps to boost productivity.
- Having a decent compensation package. Well not all employees leave because of money, but most of them do! Having a fair compensation package plays an important part in job satisfaction. Ensure that you reward exceptional performance with incentives and tenure with a healthy raise.